Sunday, October 4, 2009

Derringer @ Shaboo Inn, Willimantic CT

Performers: Derringer
Date: June 22, 1977
Venue: SHABOO Inn, Willimantic, CT
cost of ticket: $4.50

OK, don't get me started . . . . ooooooowwww I loved this guy. He was so tiny, sweet, and a great guitar player. Did I mention that he was very cute? He was. Just too small for me . . . but hey, those short guys are some of the best guitarists.

I love Rick Derringer. Still do, always will. Rick was under-rated. So I will be his diehard fan till parting.

The Shaboo was a great old barn of a bar, that let me in even though I was not 18 at the time, which was the legal drinking age. I don't remember how I got in, I think I was smiling so hard, so happy to be seeing my sweet teen idol, that they HAD to let me in. I think I even had my Derringer tee shirt on, that I had hand made in high school art class. And I was tall, so that helped. Plus I had my big brother standing right next to me ... kinda like with this look saying "you will let her in" ya know, wink, wink.

Did you see this concert? If so, please leave your memories, comments, thoughts and ideas . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw Rick Derringer (and many others) at the Shaboo. I lived not to far from there and used to play in the building as a kid. It was an abandoned amusement park at the time. A couple of guys from my high school started the night club there and it was not until years later that I realized what a remarkable place it was. The musicians loved it as did the fans of the music. So many great acts played there.

anyway, as to Rick, i loved his music but my one memory of that night was that it was so loud it hurt. He played two identical sets. Did i mention it was LOUD? Yeah, really loud.

Followers