Sunday, October 4, 2009

Lynyrd Skynyrd, Foreigner, 38 Special @ Springfield Civic Center

Performers: Lynyrd Skynyrd, Foreigner, 38 Special
Date: June 15, 1977
Venue: Springfield Civic Center
cost of ticket: ?

Looking back now, this is a pretty strong concert line-up!

I was a terrific Skynyrd fan playing their first album "Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd" till I knew it by heart. I was lucky to see Ronnie Van Zant sing this evening since this concert took place 4 months before the fated plane crash. Lots of band members up on the stage - big, full music. If I remember correctly, like 3 guitar players, all of them capable of playing lead.

Did you see this concert? If so, please leave your memories, comments, thoughts and ideas . . .

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was there too. Phenominal show. No one really knew who 38 Special was then. They had just released their first album. They were a true southern rock band then. Donnie Van Zandt sang most of the lead vocals. I remember they had had two drummers playing in perfect sync. I went there to see Skynard but became a 38 Special fan that night. Went out and bought their debut album the next day.

Anonymous said...

We all stayed across the street at the Crossroads and laughed at Foreigner.. when we knew Skynyrd was up next... down the shots and WHAT A SHOW....

Anonymous said...

We were there also. General admission we were direct center probably 50 feet back. Ticket was something like $&.50.

Anonymous said...

Holy shit. Does anyone remember this was general admission and the crowd outside the civic center was getting unruly and pushing. I was like 15 years old and I remember almost getting trampled. Inside, we snagged some amazing seats next to the stage. Foreigner had no business being at a Southern Rock Concert. 38 special was good. Skynyrd with Ronnie Van Zant was truly a sight to see. Donnie barefoot, the huge white piano, the three lead guitarists. Awesome. The whole show set list seemed like is was right out of One for the Road. Amazing, and I was honored to see them live.

ramsin99 said...

I was there. Ticket was $6.50 and a general admission show.

Unknown said...

Ticket was $5.50 this was my very 1st concert , i lived 10 minutes away in Spfld,,, never missed a concert , seen mostly all the greats, my 2nd was QUEEN news of the world tour 6-7 months after this

Gordon Yell said...

I was there!..I believe the tickets back then were $5.75, I have concert stubs from around the same time for that price. Blue Oyster Cult, Kansas, Styxx, Kiss/Thin Lizzy, all were around the same price. those were the days!

Followers