Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Cowsills, Duke Ellington @ Steel Pier, Atlantic City, NJ 1969

The first concert I ever went to was to see The Cowsills at the Steel Pier, in Atlantic City, NJ. What an action packed night it was for me in my best party dress at age 9. Upon entering the Steel Pier, you had many activities to choose from and they were taking place throughout the afternoon and evening. First, we saw a movie: My Side of the Mountain which is a great book for young people. That movie has always been special to me, and I remember it very well. Next, we moved into a more traditional stage theater. The opening act for the concert was a high school band, and a baton twirler, who twirled with fire.
Then the Cowsills came on. Mind you, I am 9 years old, very totally into Barry the bass player and John the drummer. They are about 12 and 14 years old. This is the family that the "Partridge Family" television show was fashioned after. My brother who will be referenced throughout this blog, and I were totally into the Cowsills. “The Rain the Park and Many Things”, and the fact that they could rock a bit.
After the Cowsills performed, we exited the theater, and I was ready to go back to the hotel. But before we left the Pier, we ambled by a small "bar room" scene. My mom stopped, grabbed my dad's arm and said "Let's have a beer and listen to the Duke". So at the tender age of 9, I got a chance to see Duke Ellington.

1 comment:

Michael C. Cordell said...

Hi,

I happened to be doing a search on Duke Ellington to try to remember the years I saw him in Atlantic City. I was in AC at that same time you were that year, saw the Cowsills, too. Were you still in AC when they walked on the moon? I remember that as clear as yesterday!

Funny coincidence (we're about the same age, too).

Michael

PS I went back & reread your post. I also liked that book "The Other Side of the Mountain" (read it a dozen times, I think) and saw the movie that summer, though I don't remember where :-)

Followers