Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Supremes, American Breed, Tommy Roe @ Disneyland 1968

Performers: The Supremes, American Breed, Tommy Roe Date: July 25, 1968 Venue: Disneyland's Center Stage, Anaheim, CA Yup, and it was free; thank you Mickey. My family was walking along, looking for the next adventure in Disney, when my brother and I caught the sound waves coming from a distance - the sound of loud speakers in the night - music floating over the tops of crowds. We instinctively walked towards the sound. It was my brother who first turned to me and smiled - we could hear the American Breed, who we knew and liked, singing "Bend Me Shake Me". So we bellied up to the back of the crowd and settled in to a great concert - surprise! The Supremes were awesome, very choreographed, very slick, very polished, very bright and shiny. The real buried treasure came about when we exited the large outdoors staging venue area after the Supremes. The crowd was pouring out; the evening was winding down, and the only thing left on the roster was fireworks and Tinkerbelle. Everyone was headed to Cinderella's castle to see Tink fly. As my family was getting pulled along by the crowd, we passed this small cafe-style open aired venue. All day long, Disney goers were eating fries, milkshakes and overpriced hamburgers here, but right now the place was pretty deserted, and there was one guy on an impromptu stage singing a song both my brother and I knew very well, because we owned the 45. Tommy Roe was performing to an audience of about 20 people. We implored my parents to stop, which they did not want to do, so we could hear the tail end of "Dizzy". I think that was about all we got to hear . . .

No comments:

Followers